Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thinking about RSS

RSS is an interesting idea. Usually I look at Bloglines every few days for months and then forget all about it. Like Bookmarks, it is so easy to add feeds, but then I never get to go and look at them. Often I just look through the feed, tick the ones I want to keep and never go back and look at them. Unfortunately I have never found a feeder that works well with large blogs (eg PostSecret) or gives a really attractive format.

I have a variety of feeds. I think the ones I like best are the science and technology ones and the odd ones. I find Freakanomics great fun because it stretches my brain. I LOVE Cooking for Engineers. I like the Librarians Internet Index New items blog, but most of the blogs for librarians are as dull as... and often badly written. The Shifted Librarian, however, is usually okay.

I think Library blogs that are intended to conver information to the users can be very useful. I have been amazed at how many people go and check out the ones I do for QUT - many more than ever read my newsletters I am sure! The public library ones that give new book lists etc could be really useful.

No comments: